The two-story building at 148 Price Street was constructed ca. 1890 and is within the Savannah National Historic Landmark District. Numerous alterations and additions altered its appearance and use. In 2013, Matthew Allan representing J. Leander LLC purchased the property to rehabilitate the building into a single-family residence. Ward Architecture + Preservation prepared plans for a sensitive rehabilitation with consideration of retaining as much historic fabric as possible and following the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Structures so as to best preserve significant character defining features. Additionally, the Historic District section of the city zoning ordinance directed design decisions for new additions and openings.
For approximately two decades the building sat vacant. As a result, it suffered from deferred maintenance and was condemned by the City of Savannah as a blighted structure. Because of its highly visible location, on a major thoroughfare in the north eastern section of the historic district, and in order to apply pressure to restore the building or remove it from the streetscape, it was placed on the City’s 100 Worst Building’s List. Although attempts were made to rehabilitate the structure, efforts were unsuccessful. The high cost of land in the historic district, the amount of work needed to restore the building and the small size of the property made it difficult for individuals to overcome the cost and time needed to undertake a sensitive and financially positive outcome.
Completed in 2015, the building at 148 Price Street was fully rehabilitated restoring the historic character of the block face between York Street and Oglethorpe Avenue. The project received a Historic Preservation Award in 2016 from Historic Savannah Foundation in grateful recognition of outstanding accomplishment in the preservation and protection of Savannah’s distinctive heritage.
Ward Architecture + Preservation
Hoffman Engineering Group