This historic double house was constructed ca.1897 on Washington Square in Savannah’s National Historic Landmark District. The owner purchased the building in 2014 with the desire to restore both sides of the double house as an income-producing property. Ward Architecture + Preservation worked to develop rehabilitation plans that would sensitively preserve the historic structure.
The building had not received a full renovation since the mid 1970s and a significant amount of work was needed. The property was rehabilitated for an updated residential rental. The income producing use, along with the amount of work and expenses, allowed the rehabilitation to qualify for state and federal historic rehabilitation tax incentives. Documentation and written applications needed to obtain these tax credits and property tax freeze were prepared by Sarah Ward for Ward Architecture + Preservation. Architectural plans were developed by Josh Ward, AIA to retain as much historic fabric as possible while allowing new updated bathrooms, kitchens and services to meet the needs of the contemporary resident. All plans were compliant with current building codes and the Historic District Board of Review zoning ordinances. Rehabilitation of the building was completed in 2017 and the tax incentives certified by both the State Historic Preservation Office and the National Park Service.
Ward Architecture + Preservation