Constructed ca. 1890, the Queen Anne style building at 521 East Bolton Street is located within the Savannah Victorian National Register Historic District. The building was purchased by Stephen Mears from the Historic Savannah Foundation (HSF) revolving fund in 2018 . Josh Ward, AIA, principal for Ward Architecture + Preservation, developed architectural plans for the owner to meet their needs in restoring the duplex into a single-family residence and complying with HSF’s facade easement program.
Historic character defining features were retained and non-historic partition walls were removed. The most significant change to the building was to reconstruct the missing front porch. Research revealed that in 1898 the building maintained a one-story full width front porch and physical evidence and materials on the building guided the new design to be as sensitive as possible while meeting current codes and regulations. Construction was completed in the spring of 2018. The project received a Preservation of Excellence Award from the Historic Savannah Foundation in 2019.
The historic service station n the heart of the Thomas Square Streetcar National Register district had sat abandoned for years before receiving new life as a bagel shop and market, or bodega. Located along the Bull Street corridor near the burgeoning Starland District, the art deco building was re-stuccoed and received new fenestration throughout. The original garage door bays now have glass overhead doors that can be thrown open, allowing a full view of the kitchen and wood fired bagel oven. The corner site gives the building visual prominence while enhancing the outside dining experience. The interior of this space was completed as part of a team effort with J. Elder Studio in 2019.
This former boarding house was constructed in 1932 following a major fire in Tybee’s resort area that destroyed all of the buildings within a 2-block radius. The building was purchased by Elizabeth and Heath Shelton in 2017. Josh Ward, AIA, principal for Ward Architecture + Preservation, developed architectural plans for the owner to meet their needs in rehabilitating the former boarding house into a single-family residence.
Sarah Ward, AICP, prepared the National Register of Historic Places nomination concurrent with state and federal historic tax incentive applications. This required that the rehabilitation plans retain all historic character defining features and that new features be distinguished from the original and compatible with the character.
Construction was completed by the Sheltons’ who finished in the winter of 2018. The project received a Preservation of Excellence Award from the Historic Savannah Foundation in 2019.
Infill architecture affords us the opportunity to carefully study a site’s surrounding context, and it challenges us to synthesize our design so that it can seamlessly integrate into the neighborhood. The design of this townhome took inspiration from the Thomas Square Streetcar National Register Historic District’s fundamental residential architecture. In particular, a common feature seen throughout the district is the projecting bay, which in its use here enmeshes the building within its historic context while also engaging the streetscape. The interiors address the multi-generational needs by attaining an open floor plan and incorporating a first floor master suite. The end result is a building that effortlessly solves the problem of the empty lot.
The rehabilitation of Coastal Paper Co. into the Service Brewing headquarters was a major catalyst for the revival of West River Street in downtown Savannah, GA. The project, and the brewery’s, success has proven to be a beacon for Savannah’s current urban growth. The brewery utilized the large interior volumes of several historic warehouses, which had been unused and neglected for a number of years. While sensitive to the historic nature of the buildings the rehabilitation introduced a more contemporary aesthetic that enhanced the industrial setting. Along the buildings’ street facades glass, steel and corrugated metal panels serve as a counterpoint to the red brick of the buildings’ shell. Salvaged wood panels form a bowing scrim that marks the main entry and elicit warmth to the visitor. The industrial aesthetic continues as you enter the building where stacked shipping containers provide a backdrop for the bar of the tasting room. The brewery is a destination for locals and tourists alike. Josh Ward completed Service Brewing while working at another architectural firm.
Constructed in 1882 for Joseph M. Farr, the residence at 121 West Bolton Street survives as an excellent example of the Carpenter Italianate style. Its hipped roof, wide overhanging eaves, and ornate fretwork are typical of the style and the Savannah Victorian National Register Historic district in which it is sited. The building has had few owners throughout its existence, with most owners occupying the property for many years. Karen P. Penick purchased the property from the Historic Savannah Foundation in 1982, owning the property until 2017. During her period of ownership, extensive restoration and renovation work was performed on the property.
Her daughter and son-in-law purchased the home from her to restore the building using state and federal historic tax incentives. Becki Harkness, Historic Preservation Specialist with Ward Architecture + Preservation provided documentation and research for the property and prepared the historic tax credit applications. Construction was completed in spring 2019 and the project was successfully awarded a 25% federal tax credit, a 20% state tax credit, and a 8.5 year property tax freeze. The rehabilitation was a team effort with another architectural firm, who provided the architectural plans.
This Colonial Revival style barracks building was constructed in 1910 as part of Fort Screven, now listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In 1938, the barracks was expanded to accommodate 124 men by enclosing the front porch. Once federal lands, the Town of Tybee Island sold most of the property within the fort to private individuals in the mid-1950s. This property was underutilized during this period and sat mostly vacant and used for storage.
Purchased in 2017 for rehabilitation into a multi-family residence, Josh Ward AIA, principal for Ward Architecture + Preservation developed plans that established 7 units and restored the historic building including the original porch and its features based on extensive research with the Tybee Island Historical Society and federal fort buildings.
State and federal historic tax credits and a property tax freeze were used to help finance the construction. Documentation and applications for these incentives were prepared by Sarah Ward, preservation principal for Ward Architecture + Preservation. Through design development and construction, she ensured that preservation standards would be met.
In 2015, this Hermes’-Gottlieb’s Bakery & Residence was purchased from the City of Savannah for rehabilitation into a mixed-use commercial /retail and multi-family residence. Sarah Ward, Preservation Principal for Ward Architecture + Preservation, worked with the owners, architect, and contractors to obtain historic tax incentives from the National Park Service and Georgia Historic Preservation Division. The property was fully researched and documented to identify historic character defining features which were retained and preserved through the rehabilitation effort. New changes to non-historic features were clearly modern and distinguishable from the original. Historic images of the property were used to replace the missing balcony on the north facade and the corner storefront entry.
Constructed in 1897, the Queen Anne style corner store originally served as the Hermes Bakery and the Hermes family lived in the private residence above. The business grew to be the 3rd largest bakery in Savannah. The Gottlieb’s occupied the building for their bakery beginning in 1928. Gottlieb's Bakery was well known in Savannah by this time and as early as 1936, just two years after commercial bakery sales began, they began supplying local Savannah Girl Scouts with cookies for fundraisers. The Gottlieb family operated the bakery and other businesses along the corridor through the mid to late 20th century.
The successful rehabilitation was completed in 2017 and the Historic Tax Credits (Federal and Georgia income tax credit combined for a value of 45% the rehabilitation expenses) and an 8.5 year Property Tax Freeze were approved. The project received the 2018 Excellence in Rehabilitation Award from the Georgia Trust and the 2018 Historic Preservation Award from the Historic Savannah Foundation.
The former Estill-O’Connor residence at 111 West Gwinnett Street was rehabilitated from 2016 through 2019 to serve as an income producing property. The owners sought out this Italianate Revival residence near Forsyth Park as a long-term investment allowing them to take advantage of state and federal tax incentives available for substantial rehabilitations to historic properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
This residence was constructed in 1882 for William Estill Jr., a prominent Savannah businessman and whose family owned the Savannah Morning News. In 1909, Edwin Francis O’Connor purchased the property and with his wife, Mary Elizabeth, raised their eight children in the home. Soon after, his son, E.F. O’Connor Jr. would start his own family and soon become the father to Mary Flannery O’Connor, American novelist and writer. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building to the Savannah Victorian National Register District.
Sarah Ward and Susannah Bull with Ward Architecture + Preservation researched and documented the property to retain and preserve all historic character features. They worked with Sottile & Sottile and JAK Homes to ensure that the preservation designs and methods would meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. The project was completed in 2019 and federal and state tax credits totaling 45% of the qualified rehab expenses were obtained in additional to a 8.5 year property tax freeze.
The historic buildings formerly used by the Savannah Law School once comprised the original Candler Hospital. Three buildings formed the hospital complex connected through a number of corridors. Constructed from 1819 through 1960, the buildings represent a variety of architectural styles and genres. The rehabilitation respected each period while adapting to the modern needs of the new school. This included contemporary additions compatible with each structure and continuity within interiors. This project was completed with a prior architectural firm.